Saturday, July 28, 2007

Multilingual

I just got back from a wondrous place, Sarvadamanbhai Patel's organic farm, which deserves its own post so I'll save that topic. But on the way there I was sitting in the back of the Sumo with three other people; one of them spoke English, Gujarati and Hindi, one spoke only Gujarati, and one spoke Hindi and English, and then there was me who can speak English and kinda the other two. It was amazing how as we communicated, conversations switched between the three in such a way so that everyone was included… it was not a "translate-each-sentence-into-all-languages " brute force type of system… it was much more fluid and unstructured, almost like its own language. During the conversation I was thinking that this can only happen in India… the mother of all multilingual societies

No comments:

Post a Comment